Declaring Pre-Nursing Major
The admission standards for the Bachelor of Science of Nursing are high and selection is limited to the most qualified students. For this reason, The College of Health Professions limits eligibility to declare pre-major status to those who have demonstrated an ability to meet the admissions requirements to the selective admissions programs.
If a student is not eligible to declare pre-nursing upon admission to NKU, he/she may be able to declare pre-nursing after completion of all developmental coursework and demonstration of academic success with a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher. A meeting with an academic advisor in the College of Health Professions will assist students in their academic planning as they seek to declare pre-major status. You may call (859) 572-5895 to schedule an appointment or schedule online by using Timetrade.
Current NKU students may change their major to pre-nursing, but they MUST have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and must meet with an academic advisor. A student may call (859) 572-5895 or use Timetrade to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor in the College of Health Professions to discuss their academic planning as they seek to declare pre-nursing status.
The requirements to declare pre-nursing are:
- A minimum ACT composite of 20 with no academic provisions
- A transfer student with more than 24 credit hours will need a minimum GPA of 2.5
- A transfer student with less than 24 credit hours will be treated as a new student if they have no college GPA at the time of application to NKU. If there is a college GPA, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required to declare pre-nursing
- Current NKU students who want to change their major to pre-nursing MUST have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher in order to declare pre-nursing as their major
- A student can stay in the pre-nursing classification for no longer than three semesters