The admission standards for the Bachelor of Science of Nursing are high and selection is limited to the most qualified students. For this reason, The College of Health Professions limits eligibility to declare pre-major status to those who have demonstrated an ability to meet the admissions requirements to the selective admissions programs.
If a student is not eligible to declare pre-nursing upon admission to NKU, he/she may be able to declare pre-nursing after completion of all developmental coursework and demonstration of academic success with a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher. A meeting with an academic advisor in the College of Health Professions will assist students in their academic planning as they seek to declare pre-major status. You may call 859.572.5895 to schedule an appointment.
Current NKU students may change their major to pre-nursing, but they MUST have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher to declare pre-nursing as their major. A student may call 859.572.5895 to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor in the College of Health Professions to discuss their academic planning as they seek to declare pre-nursing status.
The requirements to declare pre-nursing are:
- A minimum ACT composite of 20 with no academic provisions to declare pre-nursing.
- A minimum ACT composite of 20 with no academic provisions to declare "undecided" in the College of Health Professions.
- A transfer student with more than 24 credit hours will need a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher with no academic provisions to declare pre-nursing.
- A transfer student with less than 24 credit hours will be treated as a new student if they have no college GPA at the time of application to NKU. If there is a college GPA, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required to declare pre-nursing.
- Current NKU students who want to change their major to pre-nursing MUST have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher in order to declare pre-nursing as their major.
- A student can stay in the pre-nursing classification for no longer than three semesters.
The requirements to apply to nursing are:
Minimum grade of C or higher in BIO 208/208L (Anatomy and Physiology I)
Minimum grade of C or higher in PSY 100 (Introduction to Psychology)
Eligible to take CHE 115/115L (Physiological Chemistry)
Eligible to take STA 205 or 212 (Statistics)
- Minimum college GPA of 3.0 or higher
No academic provisions
No more than 1 science failure (grade of C-, D, or F) in the last 4 years
All grades in science and nursing support courses must be a C or higher (PSY 100, PSY 321 or EDU 300, STA 205 or STA 212, INF 355, and BIO 202/202L).
All pre-requisite science classes must be less than 8 years old at the time the BSN Program would begin.
- Applicants whose native language is other than English must demonstrate an established level of English proficiency by takiing the internet based TOEFL (iBT) and have a minimum cumulative score of 90 with minimum individual scores of 26 in speaking, 22 in listening, 20 in writing, 22 in reading. Only official scores will be accepted and the testing must be within two years of application to the program. Please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars for a list of NKU approved countries where English is the official language and for TOEFL testing information.